Follow these Driving Safety Tips for a Safer Journey:
- Do not drink and drive.
- Obey the speed limit.
- Do not use cell phones when driving. It is illegal and extremely dangerous.
- Ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
- Do simple vehicle maintenance and pre-trip inspections.
- Guard against distractions while driving. Set all devices, mirrors and controls prior to driving.
- Ensure all vehicle occupants wear a seat belt.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Obey the two-second rule.
- Allow yourself to take short breaks when driving long distances.
- Plan your journey well in advance.
- If a breakdown occurs, turn hazard lights on and get the vehicle to a safe location.
- If the vehicle breaks down on the roadway, turn hazard lights on, stay belted in the vehicle and wait for professional help.
- Never get out of a vehicle to make a repair on a busy road. Get the vehicle to a safe place before getting out.
Safety at Level
- Always stop at level crossings. Never cross if the red lights are flashing, regardless of what position the boom is in.
- Obey the road signs when approaching a level crossing. Make sure the tracks are clear IN BOTH DIRECTIONS before crossing.
- Never queue over a level crossing.
- Never pass another vehicle when approaching a level crossing.